In one of the first recorded Thanksgiving dinners of 1621 ‘maizium’ or corn as we know it today was said to have been eaten, remaining a staple in the celebrations ever since. Baked in our sturdy Square Bake Tin, this cornbread is best served with a knob of butter whilst it’s still warm.
CORN BREAD RECIPE
Enamelware needed for the recipe and to serve;
• 250g all-purpose flour
• 3 tablespoons neutral oil (like canola or vegetable)
• 3 tablespoons brown sugar
• 2 small eggs at room temperature
• 207 grams yellow cornmeal
• 180 grams all-purpose flour
• 9 grams baking powder
• 1.5 teaspoons fine sea salt
• 345 grams buttermilk, at room temperature
Pre heat your oven to 180ºC Fan/200ºC/400ºF
In one bowl mix the oil, butter, eggs and sugar together.
In another bowl mix together your dry ingredients.
Add half of your dry ingredients to the wet mix and fold. Then add the rest and incorporate. Be careful not to overmix at this point.
Into the pan add your batter and bake for 18-20 minutes until lightly golden and when the edges start coming away from the pan. Cut into 12 and serve!